Women’s basketball, volleyball teams to play 2017-18 season at Evanston Township High School

Daily file photo by Lauren Duquette

Evanston Township High School will host Northwestern’s women’s basketball and volleyball teams next season. Welsh-Ryan Arena is undergoing a $110 million renovation, which is expected to be completed by fall of 2018.

Garrett Jochnau, Sports Editor

Northwestern’s women’s basketball and volleyball teams will play their 2017-18 season in Evanston Township High School’s Beardsley Gym while Welsh-Ryan Arena is renovated, the athletic department announced in a news release Wednesday.

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity that Evanston Township High School has provided our student-athletes and fans,” athletic director Jim Phillips said in the news release. “We are excited for our women’s basketball and volleyball programs to compete locally next year and create a true home-gym advantage as close to the Northwestern campus as possible.”

The gymnasium seats up to 2,400 people.

The athletic department previously announced that the men’s basketball team will play its 2017-18 campaign at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, the current home of DePaul basketball.

NU will begin its $110 million renovation of Welsh-Ryan Arena when the 2016-17 basketball season ends, and the project is expected to be completed in fall of 2018, according to the news release. Once renovated, the arena will house both basketball teams, the volleyball team and the wrestling team.

“We are grateful to ETHS for the opportunity to compete in their gym next year,” women’s basketball coach Joe McKeown said in the news release. “It is important to our team, and for our fans, to continue to play in this community while our arena undergoes a world-class renovation.”

Correction: The photo caption on a previous version of this story indicated the Northwestern wrestling team will compete at Evanston Township High School. This is not the case. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @GarrettJochnau