ETHS has highest enrollment in 30 years

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

Evanston Township High School reported its highest enrollment in 30 years. The school’s graduation rate has also shown an increase of 2 percentage points over the past two years.

Stavros Agorakis, A&E Editor

Evanston Township High School has the highest number of enrolled students in 30 years, according to a news release.

The trend exists across all grades within ETHS and also in the special education and bilingual programs, the release said. The school’s graduation rate has also shown an increase of 2 percentage points over the past two years, with more than 92 percent of the student body graduating in the spring of 2016.

The release also highlights academic milestones and racial diversity breakthroughs in its current student body as well. The Latinx and Asian populations currently comprise more than 17 and 5 percent of the total number of students, respectively.

Black, white and Native American student enrollment numbers have remained consistent in the past five years.

ETHS District 202 superintendent Eric Witherspoon said in the release the students’ ACT and Advanced Placement test results are among the highest ever in the school’s long record. In the 2015-2016 academic year, 83 percent of the school’s juniors and seniors were enrolled in at least one honors or AP class.

“It’s a great day to be a Wildkit,” Witherspoon said in the news release. “I applaud our students, our teachers and staff, and our ETHS families for achieving this continuous improvement. We are on the right trajectory at ETHS, and we will continue to identify challenges and opportunities so we can make even greater gains.”

Twitter: @stavrosagorakis