Northwestern law increases fundraising goal to $250 million

Allyson Chiu, Assistant Campus Editor

The Pritzker School of Law upped its fundraising goal to $250 million after surpassing its initial target of $150 million, the University announced.

The school’s “Motion to Lead” campaign was launched in September 2014 and has raised more than $200 million since. It is part of “We Will” –– the University’s school-wide fundraising campaign –– which aims to raise $3.75 billion from more than 140,000 donors.

Funds will be directed toward financial aid, improved curriculum, law-business-technology programs and social justice initiatives, according to a news release.

A majority of the funding came from a $100 million donation from NU Law alumnus J.B. Pritzker (JD ‘93) and his wife, M.K.

Money from the campaign has been used to create nine programs that make attending law school more affordable. In addition to the new programs, the money is also funding endowed scholarships.

The school was also able to augment its curriculum with a Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship concentration and the Innovation Lab, a course that brings students from various degree programs to create commercial products to solve legal issues.

Additionally, the funding produced a three-story addition to the School of Law’s building. The facilities include a classroom equipped with new technology, extra study spaces and an expanded cafe.

The school’s social justice centers, such as the Center on Wrongful Convictions and the Children and Family Justice Center, received support as well.

The school aims to raise an additional $46 million to reach its new goal.

Twitter: @_allysonchiu