Former University Police lieutenant faces additional child pornography charges

Madeline Fox, Reporter

Former University Police lieutenant Ronald Godby was charged Monday in a second child pornography case after investigators found photographs of a second teenage girl on his computer.

Godby, 53, was first arrested in February, when he was charged with manufacturing and possession of child pornography, as well as grooming — the act of knowingly using an online service to lure a child to commit a sex offense or engage in unlawful sexual conduct.

He was charged again Monday with manufacturing and possession of child pornography following a joint investigation by the Cook County Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force and the Mount Prospect Police Department, according to a news release from the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office.

Godby was arrested for the second time after appearing in court for his arraignment on the previous charges, his lawyer Ernest DiBenedetto said. His wife posted bail Tuesday evening after his bond was set at $175,000 earlier that day, DiBenedetto said.

Godby, who was initially placed on administrative leave following his first arrest, is no longer employed at Northwestern, University spokesman Al Cubbage told The Daily last month.

After Godby’s February arrest, Mount Prospect police searched his home, his vehicles and his office at UP, seizing several computers, hard drives, data storage and professional cameras.

The second alleged victim came forward after news of Godby’s arrest in February, identifying herself in photos found on Godby’s computer, according to the release.

Godby, who ran a home photography business, had known the second girl since she was in middle school and had photographed her at various school events where he acted as the unofficial photographer, according to the release. He began communicating with her via social media during the spring or early summer of 2012, asking her if she would like him to take headshots to be used for auditions for various high school productions, according to the release.

The girl then agreed to do photo shoots in the winter and spring of 2015, both outdoors and in Godby’s home. The release described these pictures as depicting the girl fully clothed but in “provocative poses.”

In June 2015, Godby contacted the victim, asking her to participate in a photo shoot and requesting she wear a button-down shirt. He then, in July, picked her up at home and drove to several locations in Des Plaines where he directed her to pose in “provocative positions” and took “zoomed in photos that were sexual in nature,” according to the release.

DiBenedetto said Godby and the girl’s family were family friends, and that Godby conducted around 20 photo shoots with the girl and her family. DiBenedetto said the pictures were all consensual.

Godby’s next court date is May 27 at the Rolling Meadows courthouse.

Twitter: @maddycfox