Former University Police lieutenant indicted for child pornography, ‘grooming’

Madeline Fox, Reporter

A former Northwestern police lieutenant was indicted Thursday on charges of child pornography.

Ronald Godby was formally charged Thursday with manufacturing and possessing child pornography, as well as “grooming,” or knowingly using an online service to lure a child to commit a sex offense or engage in unlawful sexual conduct.

Godby, who worked in the investigations unit of University Police, was placed on administrative leave in early February after he was arrested following allegations he had manufactured and possessed child pornography. He is no longer a university employee, University spokesman Al Cubbage said.

In February, police searched Godby’s home, vehicles and office, seizing several computers, hard drives, data storage and professional cameras, the Mount Prospect police department said in a news release.

Godby runs a home photography business, occasionally taking team photos for a high school in the northwest suburbs, according to a news release from the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office from the time of his arrest. He allegedly used his relationship with family friends to take inappropriate pictures of and send sexual messages to a minor.

Godby’s next court date is scheduled for May 9 at the Rolling Meadows courthouse, when the prosecutor will present the charges and Godby will enter his plea, said his lawyer, Ernie DiBenedetto. Godby intends to plead not guilty to the various counts of the indictment, DiBenedetto said.

Twitter: @maddycfox