Police Blotter: Evanston Hospital physician turns himself in after stealing $65,000 ultrasound machine

Juliet Freudman, Reporter

An Evanston physician turned himself in Monday to the Evanston Police Department for the theft of a $65,000 ultrasound machine.

Vinay Rawlani was an employee at Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., where he stole the machine, EPD spokesman Perry Polinski said. After hospital security reported the theft to EPD on Feb. 18, hospital security and EPD detectives followed up with an investigation, in which Rawlani was a suspect, Polinski said.

Rawlani worked at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University’s plastic surgery program during the current school year, but he is no longer an employee, University spokesman Bob Rowley said.

Rawlani brought himself to the station at 1:05 p.m. Monday and was charged with a Class 1 felony for a theft over $500, Polinski said.

He appeared in Skokie Courthouse on Wednesday morning, where his bond was posted. He is scheduled to appear in court again June 10.

Man steals three bottles of alcohol from south Evanston Jewel-Osco

A 55-year-old man stole three bottles of Grey Goose Vodka on April 26 from the Jewel-Osco in south Evanston.

He entered the store, 2485 Howard Street, with a woman at around 3:45 a.m., Polinski said. A loss prevention agent called EPD when he recognized the woman, who had shoplifted on previous occasions.

Before police arrived, the man and woman fled. The woman left her items behind and the man took the three bottles of vodka with him without paying, Polinski said. Each bottle was valued at $29.

The man was caught on store surveillance footage, but he has not yet been identified, Polinski added.

Twitter: @girlwhojumped