Police investigate theft allegations at Evanston Township High School

Officials+at+Evanston+Township+High+School+are+working+with+the+Evanston+Police+Department+to+investigate+allegations+of+a+theft+from+a+locker+at+the+school.+A+video+taken+from+the+top+shelf+shows+a+person+believed+to+be+on+ETHS+staff+rummaging+through+items+in+the+locker.+

Daily file photo by Lauren Duquette

Officials at Evanston Township High School are working with the Evanston Police Department to investigate allegations of a theft from a locker at the school. A video taken from the top shelf shows a person believed to be on ETHS staff rummaging through items in the locker.

Marissa Page, Features Editor

Evanston police officers are investigating an alleged theft at Evanston Township High School caught on a video that school officials said “implicated” staff members.

ETHS Principal Marcus Campbell, who also serves as assistant superintendent for ETHS/District 202, released a statement to students and families Thursday saying school officials were aware of the video. In the statement, he said the alleged theft appeared to occur from a locker in the school’s gym wing.

Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan told The Daily he had seen a video shot from the top shelf of a locker. He said the video depicted a person opening the locker and sorting through items inside, but that it was unclear from the video whether anything was taken. Dugan added that he believed Evanston police had acquired a second related video he had not yet seen.

Dugan said it seemed as though the video had been widely circulated throughout the ETHS community via social media.

The person who took the video has not revealed their identity to the police, Dugan said — thus, the department does not know what items were stolen or if the person intends to press charges.

“We need that person to come forward … so that we can proceed with our investigation,” he said.

Twitter: @marissahpage