Football: Q&A with Purdue receiver Danny Anthrop

Alex Putterman, Web Editor

Football

At Big Ten Media Days in late July, before the season began, The Daily asked various players around the conference their thoughts on their own teams and the Northwestern program.

With the Wildcats set to host Purdue on Saturday, here’s what Boilermakers receiver Danny Anthrop, who currently ranks eighth in the Big Ten in catches, had to say.

The Daily: As an offense, what do you think are your guys’ strengths?

Anthrop: Our passing game is as strong as it’s been since I’ve been at Purdue. That credit goes to the quarterback, to the offensive line — they’re impressive, they’ve grown a lot, they’ve experienced a lot. And those guys are guys who play every game, play every snap; they don’t get rotated in at all.

The Daily: You didn’t play last year against Northwestern (due to a knee injury), but what were your perceptions of that game and of Northwestern, from the sideline?

Anthrop: I felt really bad about the quarterback (Trevor Siemian) when he got hurt. That was devastating. I saw on draft day when he got drafted to the Broncos, and I thought that was crazy because he didn’t even get a pro day, combine or anything. It’s awesome to see Siemian out there getting that opportunity.

Northwestern, they’re under really good leadership with coach (Pat) Fitzgerald. I remember when he recruited me and coach (Dennis) Springer, the wide receivers coach — I really liked that staff. They’re heading in the right direction, and they show that every Saturday. I know they had some adversity with injuries, but they can hang with the best of them.

The Daily: You mentioned Northwestern recruited you. What was that process like, and what did your ultimate decision come down to?

Anthrop: My top three schools that I wanted to go to were Purdue, Northwestern and Notre Dame. I had a visit lined up to Northwestern and I was going to take it. But I got offered by Purdue and I committed on the spot. So I didn’t end up taking that visit. But I have a lot of respect for that staff, and it’s no surprise to me the success they’ve had and are going to have.

Twitter: @AlexPutterman