Police Blotter: Six students referred to Northwestern Student Affairs for marijuana possession

Drew Gerber and Joanne Lee, Reporters

Six NU students in two separate cases were reported by resident assistants to University Police on Friday night in connection with marijuana-related incidents.

An RA reported to UP that at about 6:40 p.m. he observed four NU students smoking marijuana on the south side of the Ayers College of Commerce and Industry, Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. All four students were identified and admitted to smoking marijuana outside the building, McAleer said.

Only one of the four students lived in CCI. The other three live in other campus residences, McAleer said. UP documented the incident and referred the matter to Student Affairs, he said.

Later that night, a little after 9:30 p.m., UP responded to a report from an RA who noticed an odor of burnt marijuana outside of a second floor room during a routine check of the residence hall at 1856 Orrington Ave., McAleer said. He said officers gained permission from the student resident to enter the room, and upon entering UP detected an odor of burnt cannabis and discovered in plain view an electronic wooden vaporizer with cannabis residue, which the student admitted to using to smoke cannabis.

When asked if there was more marijuana in the room, the student indicated a vial containing a green, leafy substance on his roommate’s desk, which was later tested and confirmed to be cannabis, McAleer said. UP located the student’s roommate, who claimed ownership of the marijuana and admitted to purchasing it from an unknown Evanston resident, he said.

UP issued tickets in connection with possession of drug paraphernalia to both residents and issued a ticket in connection with possession of cannabis to the owner of the vial. Both students were referred to Student Affairs, McAleer said.

Local man charged with driving under the influence

A 49-year-old man was arrested early Sunday morning in connection with driving under the influence.

Police found the Evanston man sleeping in his car while stopped at a signal light in the 1100 block of Chicago Avenue at about 1:30 a.m., Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. Police said the man had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.

The man refused to perform any field sobriety tests, Dugan said

The man was charged with a misdemeanor for driving under the influence and disobeying a traffic control device. He is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 19.

Evanston woman arrested in connection with marijuana possession

A 19-year-old woman was arrested Sunday night in connection with marijuana possession.

The Evanston woman flagged down police while in her vehicle in the 1200 block of Oak Avenue at about 6 p.m. to ask the officer a question about recovering money she loaned to an unknown individual, when the officer noticed the smell of unburned marijuana, Dugan said. The woman had about 16 grams of marijuana in her posession and was driving with a suspended license, Dugan said.

The woman was charged with two misdemeanors for possession of marijuana and driving on a suspended license. She is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 19.

Twitter: @dagerber

Twitter: @leehjoanne