Police Blotter: Man charged with marijuana, ecstasy possession

Joanne Lee, Reporter

A 26-year-old man was arrested Wednesday night in connection with ecstasy and marijuana possession with intent to deliver.

Police noticed the man in the passenger’s seat of a car at about 8 p.m. when the vehicle pulled up next to a police car at the intersection of Oakton Street and Callan Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Police said the car smelled of marijuana and the woman who was driving the car was attempting to light a glass pipe in her mouth, Dugan said.

After stopping the car, police found a glass pipe filled with what they suspected to be burnt marijuana in the man’s possession. They also found three clear, plastic bag containing marijuana in the passenger door and a backpack containing more cannabis in a food storage container, as well as a scale, empty plastic bags and a medicine bottle containing ecstasy, Dugan said.

The Evanston man was charged with two felonies for possession of ecstasy with an intent to deliver, three misdemeanors for possession of nearly 8 grams of marijuana with an intent to deliver and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Break-in attempted at central Evanston condo

An unknown individual unsuccessfully attempted to break into the main entrance of a multi-unit building early Thursday morning in central Evanston.

The residents of the condominium building in the 200 block of Asbury Avenue reported hearing a loud banging noise at about 2:30 a.m., Dugan said. Later that morning, residents found the door to the main entrance to the building damaged, police said.

Police said the damage near the deadbolt area looked as if a tool was used to try to pry open the door.

Twitter: @leehjoanne