Police Blotter: Jogger robbed in south Evanston

Julia Jacobs, City Editor

A 25-year-old man was jogging Sunday evening in south Evanston when he was robbed by a man who initially proposed to sell him drugs.

The Evanston resident was near the 100 block of Chicago Avenue, when a man approached him asking if he wanted to buy marijuana, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. The jogger agreed to make the purchase, but the man instead demanded money without selling him anything, Dugan said. After the jogger refused to hand over any money, the man reached into his coat to retrieve something from his pocket, leading the jogger to agree to give him cash, Dugan said.

As the jogger took out his wallet, the man pushed him, took $60 from the wallet and drove away southbound in a white van.

Man caught with stolen bicycle

A 35-year-old man was arrested early Monday morning in connection with a bicycle burglary after police stopped him for riding in the dark without a light.

The Chicago resident was riding the bicycle near the intersection of Dobson Street and Ridge Avenue at about 12:40 a.m. when police attempted to pull him over. The man then jumped off the bicycle and took off running. When the officers stopped him in the 800 block of Brummel Street, the man said he took the bike from a garage in south Evanston.

After the man led police to the house in the 2600 block of Broadway Avenue, the owner identified the bicycle — worth $350 — as their own.

The man was charged with misdemeanor burglary as well as violating a city bike ordinance regarding the missing light.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj