Baseball: Wildcats steal one of three against Wolverines

Tim Balk, Reporter

Baseball

Northwestern’s Big Ten struggles continued this weekend when the Wildcats faced Michigan headed to Ann Arbor.

NU (16-35, 6-15 Big Ten) dropped two of three to Michigan (31-21, 14-10), but ended a four-game losing streak with a win Saturday.

After losing a pair of games to game to Kansas, the Cats entered the series Friday evening looking to turn things around.

NU was unable to keep up with Michigan in the series opener, though, as Michigan led from the first inning throughout the 12-4 rout. Four Cats pitchers surrendered runs in the loss as NU wasted senior Mike Trucco’s first career home run.

The Michigan offense kept pumping Saturday — the team piled up 12 hits and 8 runs. However, this time the Cats were not to be outdone, and they plated 9 runs in a victory.

Sophomore left fielder Joe Hoscheit led the way for the Cats with three hits and two RBI, and senior catcher Scott Heelan had two hits and two RBI as well.

The Cats clinched the victory with a three-run eighth inning that gave the Cats a 9-7 lead. After Michigan junior Jacob Cronenworth homered to start the bottom of the eighth, junior Cats reliever Jake Stolley entered and pitched two scoreless innings to close out the game, earning his sixth save of the season.

Sunday was a day to forget for the Cats, as the Wolverines drilled NU in the series rubber match. Michigan took a 3-0 lead in the first frame and never looked back, rolling to a 19-1 victory.

Junior first baseman Zach Jones racked up a pair of hits — a bright spot for the Cats — and freshman third baseman Connor Lind had his second straight multi-hit performance, singling twice.

The Michigan series was NU’s last road series of the season. The Cats will return to Rocky Miller Park on Thursday to take on Maryland.

Twitter: @TimBalk