Northwestern breaks ground on stadium for soccer, lacrosse

Shane McKeon, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern broke ground this weekend on the Lanny and Sharon Martin Stadium, a renovated soccer and lacrosse field the University will build as part of the “We Will” campaign.

University President Morton Schapiro praised the Martins, who have committed $15 million to the campaign.

“We are very grateful for their generosity and the central roles they play in the life of our University,” Schapiro said in a news release. “Their contributions are advancing our ability to provide our students with the best possible experience at Northwestern, academically, socially and athletically.”

J. Landis Martin (Kellogg ‘68, Law ‘73) and his wife, Sharon, are co-chairs of the “We Will” campaign.

Athletic director Jim Phillips also commended the couple.

“Their generosity is truly incredible,” Phillips said in the release. “This is the latest step in a truly transformational project for our entire University community. The renovation will provide a superior training and competition venue and allow us to continue to deliver a world-class experience to our nearly 500 student athletes.”

NU’s men’s and women’s soccer teams and its women’s lacrosse team will use the stadium for competition.

Weinberg junior Nandi Mehta, co-captain of the women’s soccer team, said the stadium will pay dividends for future NU students.

“Lanny and Sharon Martin Stadium is part of a project that, when complete, will truly elevate the experience of every student-athlete at Northwestern,” Mehta said at the groundbreaking ceremony Saturday. “Words cannot describe what their gift and lifelong commitment to the University means to us and the impact it will have on future generations of Wildcats.”

Twitter: @Shane_McKeon