Cohen: Keystone Pipeline carries net benefits

Julia Cohen, Columnist

The Keystone Pipeline, an oil transport pipeline from Canada to the United States, is not clean. Trying to convince hard core environmentalists this truth is like trying to explain that my room is spotless to someone who just stepped on a high heel on the floor: It’s beyond obvious. The Keystone Pipeline is, however, the least of several evils in our energy policy. Instead of vetoing the upcoming bill approving the extension of the pipeline, President Barack Obama should use it to rewrite these more drastic evils.

First, the Keystone Pipeline could help the federal government untangle itself from big oil companies. The world spends $550 billion each year subsidizing fossil fuels, with the United States being one of the largest spenders. The Keystone Pipeline is unique in that it includes no direct subsidies to American companies, only accelerated depreciation of refinery capital. Accelerated depreciation refers to the increasing reduction of an asset’s value as it ages — lessening the value of the asset that can be taxed. While the depreciation is not ideal, it at least reflects activity that the refineries have already carried out, as opposed to paying huge sums to oil companies up front to undergo projects that they probably would have done in the first place. A constant flow of Canadian oil, plus the jobs that come with it, could cause politicians to work less with the big American fossil-fuel companies. If policymaking is no longer clouted by American big oil interests, we may be able to think seriously about reforming energy policy in ways that will force us to rethink how we consume, such as introducing a carbon tax.

Some environmentalists fear this influx of even more oil will detract from the use of green energy. However, as much as sustainable energy projects should be researched and further developed, they cannot provide what the Keystone XL can. Although renewable projects often have to be conducted in remote areas and cannot as easily transfer energy, Keystone can ship 830,000 barrels of oil per day. Vetoing Keystone would not move us more toward alternative energy but would instead encourage more dangerous transportation of resources from Canada’s oil sands. Without the pipeline, freight trains would transfer much of our oil imports from Canada. Trains not only have a higher risk of spillage than the Keystone XL but also emit carbon dioxide themselves. Companies will not stop producing oil with a veto from Obama; they would only export via more dangerous means.

Regardless of the environmental impacts, the Keystone XL Pipeline makes economic sense. Although fossil fuel prices are extremely low now, they may not stay that way forever. The depreciation tax credits are more likely to be productively reinvested than the money saved when Congress pays big American oil to do a specific project. The Keystone Pipeline is not the perfect solution to American energy problems. It is, however, the start of a more reasonable path.

Julia Cohen is a SESP sophomore. She can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].