Cross Country: Ostenso breaks Northwestern record in 5K at Meyo Invitational

Max Schuman, Reporter

Cross Country

Northwestern continued its indoor track season with several impressive individual performances and one new school record at the prestigious and competitive Meyo Invitational hosted by Notre Dame last weekend.

Buoyed by the fast 320-meter track and the loaded field of competitors, sophomore Andrea Ostenso rose to the challenge and finished fourth in the 5,000 meters with a time of 16:31.66.

The effort from Ostenso, an NCAA All-Region performer in the fall, cut nearly 20 seconds from her season-opening time at the Gladstein Invitational and gave her the school record in the event.

Sophomore Jena Pianin, another NCAA All-Region honoree in the cross country season, cruised to a personal-best in the 3,000 meters with a time of 9:37.75, good for 10th in the event.

Junior Rachel Weathered also put together a strong performance in the one-mile. Seeded in the second of five reverse-seeded heats, Weathered scraped under five minutes for the first time in her career with a 4:58.33 run, good for a victory in her heat and 31st overall in the event.

The Wildcats competed with nearly 50 other schools and 1,000 athletes during the two-day meet. NU will be back in action Friday at the Grand Valley State Big Meet.