February brings Evanston restaurant deals as part of North Shore Restaurant Month

Amanda Svachula, Reporter

Chicago’s North Shore Restaurant Month kicks off Feb. 1 with a variety of deals for foodies at 22 different Evanston restaurants.

The discounts will be available the entire month of February, excluding Valentine’s Day. This is the sixth year Chicago’s North Shore Convention & Visitor’s Bureau has held this month-long event encouraging people to explore restaurants and become tourists in their own town.

“It’s a great way to encourage people to visit their favorite local restaurants – or try a place they have never been to, “ said Flat Top Grill manager Derek Templeton. “Getting people engaged in the community is always a good thing, and offering them a deal makes their experience even better, so everyone’s happy!”

Evanston businesses will offer small perks to their customers. For example, Edzo’s Burger shop will offer a free soft drink with a burger purchase, and Flat Top Grill is offering 15 percent off of a guest check.

“February is traditionally the slowest month for restaurants,” said Edzo’s owner Eddie Lakin. “So basically we’re trying to drum up a little business because it’s so yucky out. No one wants to go outside and there are really no holidays in February except for Valentine’s Day.”

Besides basic deals, several restaurants will feature Prix Fixe menus. In Evanston, Farmhouse Evanston, Koi Fine Asian Cuisine & Lounge,  Boltwood and The Stained Glass will offer meals at fixed prices. The month is heavily promoted from social media which results in many people taking advantage of the deals.

“I think they reach a good amount of people with their Twitter,” Lakin said. “I would say we get five or six (customers using the deals) a day during the month of February.”

In order to receive the promotions, one must print out a certificate which can be found at the Visitor’s Bureau website.

Twitter: @amandasvachula