Evanston replacing newspaper racks with consolidated boxes

Stephanie Kelly, City Editor

Publications can now apply to use Evanston’s recently consolidated newspaper display boxes, city officials announced Tuesday.

Evanston has installed consolidated newspaper display boxes on public sidewalks in seven locations to replace individual publications’ racks, according to a city news release. The Daily is among the publications distributed in the boxes.

The consolidated boxes have been placed along Church Street at Oak Avenue, Sherman and Chicago Avenues, and along Davis Street, at Chicago Avenue, Orrington Avenue, and Oak Avenues and west of Benson Avenue, according to the news release.

No publication can be placed in the new display boxes until the city issues a permit to the paper.

The individual racks are being replaced to remove clutter, create additional sidewalk space, provide uniformity and improve maintenance, according to the release.

The city will next switch individual racks to consolidated boxes in the Central Business District, Central Street and Main Street areas, according to the release. Installations will continue into 2016, where seven additional areas will receive consolidated boxes.

Display space will be available for both paid publications and free publications, according to the release.

Twitter: @StephanieKellyM