Chicago Humanities Festival to come to Evanston

Stephanie Kelly, Assistant City Editor

A humanities festival featuring several different speakers and events will be coming to Evanston on Saturday before continuing in Chicago until Nov. 9.

The annual Chicago Humanities Festival presents events that focus on the humanities and brings novelists, scholars, musicians, archaeologists and other professions together, according to the festival’s website. The goals of the festival include bringing together a variety of audiences, presenting different cultures of the world and emphasizing the importance of the study of the humanities, the site says.

The first CHF was held in 1990 for 3,500 people at the Art Institute of Chicago and Orchestra Hall, according to the website.

On Saturday, the festival will have its Morris and Dolores Kohl Kaplan Northwestern Day in Evanston. The day is named after a couple who wanted to bring the CHF to the North Shore.

Events on Saturday include “Roger Ebert: Life Itself,” “Eula Biss: Where We Are From” and a conversation with writer and actor Wallace Shawn. The festival’s events are discounted for both members and students, and some of the events are free for students, according to the site.

The festival will move to Hyde Park and other areas of Chicago after coming to Evanston, according to the site.

Twitter@StephanieKellyM