City hosts art contest during tree-replacement fundraising campaign

Jennifer Ball, Assistant City Editor

Evanston’s Forestry Division is accepting submissions for the “I Heart Evanston Trees” art contest, part of the city’s larger campaign to raise money and replace fallen trees.

Interested artists must submit original artwork of Evanston trees to the city by Oct. 20. Artwork that represents all four seasons and created through different mediums is encouraged, such as watercolor, drawing, mixed media, photography and graphic design.

So far, the city’s “I Heart Evanston Trees” campaign has raised $3,525 and planted 14 trees, according to the campaign’s website. The ultimate goal is to replace 100 fallen trees in Evanston and raise $25,000. 

According to the website, the city hopes to diversify the Evanston tree population. The Emerald Ash Borer, an invasive insect, has infested Evanston parks and parkways since 2006, killing more than 2,000 ash trees.

The campaign was also created to inform residents on how to care for public trees, Kumar Jensen, the city’s sustainable fellow, wrote in an email to The Daily.

The city started accepting submissions Oct. 1. Participants ages 15 and under will be judged separately from the 16-plus category, according to a news release.

In addition, the judges will select 13 winners and many honorable mentions. The 13 winners will be featured in the 2015 “I Heart Evanston Trees” calendar. Honorable mentions may be used for the campaign’s greeting cards.

The judging process is set to begin Oct. 21, and winners will be announced in November.

Twitter: @jennifercball