Director of fraternity and sorority life to leave Northwestern

Hayley Glatter, Reporter

Northwestern’s director of fraternity and sorority life is leaving to assume a position at American University beginning July 1.

Dominic Greene will take over as director of student activities at AU.

Since starting his position at NU in the fall of 2006, Greene said he has seen the Greek community grow in a multitude of ways. Chapters have been added and have increased in size and the percentage of Greek students on campus has risen to nearly 40 percent, he said.

“I’ve seen an increase in support for chapters and chapter leaders, so that’s something I’m definitely proud of,” Greene said. “The staff has also grown in size… and there has been an increase in the leadership development program and chances for leaders to get involved.”

In addition to Greene’s open position, a new director for student involvement will also be hired this summer. The director of student involvement is a new position created that will head the Center for Student Involvement.

(Northwestern seeking to fill new student involvement position)

Burgwell Howard, assistant vice president for student engagement, said the hiring process for the director for student involvement position is well underway, and he hopes to decide on a candidate within the next week or so. Greene’s position will not be filled until after the director for student involvement is hired. Howard said he is optimistic about the hiring process and expects considerable interest in the opening, noting he hopes to hire a replacement as soon as possible.

“The opportunity for a job like this at an institution of Northwestern’s size and prestige, and one with such a high percentage of students involved in Greek life, doesn’t come up with very often,” Howard said.

Howard added that Greene has left his mark on NU, noting his impact on the growth of the Multicultural Greek Council as well as his personal relationships with students. At a recent sendoff event held for Greene at Norris University Center, Howard said student speakers conveyed similar thoughts on Greene’s tendency to go above and beyond the obligations of his job.

“[Greene has given] not only operational and organizational advice, but he’s also someone who has been really willing to extend themselves personally to support the student experience,” Howard said. “There are the people you’re supposed to turn to to get things signed and make things happen operationally, and then there are the people who you choose to look to for guidance … Dominic was that person.”

Greene said he think these skills and others he has used at NU will translate well to his new job at AU.

“I think my ability to relate to students and staff and build those relationships will help me,” Greene said. “I’ve obviously seen some challenges here at Northwestern, and I think that prepares me for what lies ahead at a new job.”

Ultimately, Greene said he is excited to work in a dynamic environment like Washington, D.C. and with students who are similar to those at NU.

“I’ll definitely miss this place,” Greene said. “I’ve grown a lot personally and professionally here. It’s bittersweet for sure, leaving. It’s been a great experience for me at Northwestern.”

Twitter: @heyhay94