Eugene Sunshine to leave Northwestern this summer after 17 years

Eugene Sunshine, senior vice president for business and finance, speaks at a 2013 meeting of the Commission on Chicago Landmarks. Sunshine (Weinberg 71) will step down this summer after 17 years at Northwestern.
Daily file photo by Susan Du
Eugene Sunshine, senior vice president for business and finance, speaks at a 2013 meeting of the Commission on Chicago Landmarks. Sunshine (Weinberg ’71) will step down this summer after 17 years at Northwestern.

Eugene Sunshine, senior vice president for business and finance, will leave Northwestern this summer after 17 years as the University’s chief administrative, business, financial and personnel officer.

Sunshine (Weinberg ’71), will continue serving until a date to be determined. A replacement has not yet been named. He announced his departure Monday in a letter to friends and colleagues.

“Northwestern has provided me with an extraordinary opportunity to contribute to the leadership of my alma mater, which has been very gratifying,” he wrote. “I am also proud to have partnered with many exceptionally talented members of the University’s administration, Board of Trustees, faculty, students, alumni and others in the broader Northwestern community to accomplish so much in making our University what it is today.”

During his tenure, Sunshine oversaw the construction of more than 20 new buildings, renovations and rehabilitations on the Evanston and Chicago campuses. He also led the team for the Feinberg School of Medicine’s new biomedical research building, on which construction is scheduled to begin in 2015.

During his time as a student, Sunshine played varsity baseball and was sports editor of The Daily. He and his wife, Holly (Weinberg ’71), will continue living in their Glenview home.

“From new buildings that are reshaping the campus to the expansion of federal support for research facilities and 16 consecutive balanced budgets, Gene’s business acumen and steady fiscal stewardship have been instrumental in keeping Northwestern not just financially strong, but also thriving,” University President Morton Schapiro said in a news release. “And on top of all of this, he has also been an enthusiastic and effective advocate for the students at Northwestern, his and his wife Holly’s beloved alma mater.”

Twitter: @JosephDiebold