Dance your cares away with this disco playlist

Aditi Bhandari, Blogger

Let’s face it, after suffering our way through the grueling first actual week of school, the only thing that can fully reinvigorate your spirits is alcohol, reruns of “The Bachelor,” DISCO MUSIC.

Before you point that snarky little sneer my way, take a moment to think of all the pivotal movie scenes that feature disco. That precise moment in the “Freaky Friday” trailer when Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis find out they’ve body-swapped? Or when the evil scientist Gru reveals he’s secretly the king of the dance floor at the end of “Despicable Me”?  And who can forget the iconic “Saturday Night Fever,” the film that dedicated more than 90 minutes of film to John Travolta’s glorious hips?

As you can see, disco music means a lot more than bell-bottoms or cringe-inducing hairdos. It wasn’t a genre; it was a way of life. With its songs of empowerment, appreciation and collective celebration, it’s impossible to listen to any of these songs and not get caught up in the flow of it all. Whether you can do a professional level hustle or just about manage to do the “Y.M.C.A.,” this cultural phenomenon has something to offer you.

I’m hoping that it’ll make a comeback. Many people I know will scoff and tell me outright that if this does indeed happen it’ll be the first sign of the apocalypse. But what can I say? As a girl whose parents seemed to be avid Bee Gees fans (it was the only English pop CD they cared to own), my love for the era was inevitable. And I know that during these long winter evenings, it’s easy to combat the freezing temperatures with some upbeat music and adequate bling.

So dig out those gold chains from the back of your closet and don those diva shoes. It’s Studio 54 time.

1. “Voulez-Vous” – ABBA
  2. “Dancing Queen” – ABBA
  3. “Stayin’ Alive” – Bee Gees
  4. “Night Fever” – Bee Gees
  5. “You Should Be Dancing” – Bee Gees
  6. “Le Freak” – Chic
  7. “Knock On Wood” – Amii Stewart
  8. “Boogie Wonderland” – Earth Wind & Fire
  9. “I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor
  10. “You Sexy Thing” – Hot Chocolate
  11. “That’s The Way (I Like It)” – KC and the Sunshine Band
  12. Celebration” – Kool & The Gang
  13. Funkytown” – Lipps Inc.
  14. “Blame It on the Boogie” – Jackson 5
  15. “Boogie Fever” – The Sylvers
  16. “Disco Inferno” – The Trampps
  17. “Y.M.C.A.” – Village People
  18. “It’s Raining Men” – The Weather Girls

Twitter: 
@Extra_Spice