Living for the City: Thanksgiving in Chicago

As a college student, experiencing the holidays alone can be a bit depressing. After all of your friends catch their flights back home, it’s just you, a pumpkin pie and no one to share it with. But don’t fret. You may be one of the lonely few, but you are also one of the lucky few. There are plenty of reasons to be grateful for spending the holidays alone if you are in Chicago. So don’t be a turkey: If you are in town for Thanksgiving this year, venture into the city. Follow this itinerary for celebrating and make memories worth writing home about.

8 a.m. — The first float from the McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade makes it way down State Street in downtown Chicago. Free admission.

9 a.m. — Chicago Turkey Day 5K starts in Lincoln Park. Spectating is free.

12 p.m. — Eat brunch at Chicago q. Kick off Thanksgiving feasting festivities early with a traditional Thanksgiving meal of free range smoked turkey, roasted turkey gravy, pork sausage and granny smith apple stuffing and fresh dinner rolls. Located at 1160 N. Dearborn St.

2 p.m. — Ice skating at McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Millennium Park opens for the day until 4 p.m. Free admission, but skate rental is $10. Located at 201 E. Randolph St.

6 p.m.  — Dine in at City Tavern for a family-style turkey dinner — almost as good as one from back home — for $45. Located at 1416 S. Michigan Ave.

7:30 p.m. — Curtain for “It’s a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago” opens. Watch the Frank Capra holiday classic performed at the Greenhouse Theater. Tickets are $19-$49. Located at 2257 N. Lincoln Ave. (between Webster Avenue and Belden Avenue).

10 p.m. — Top off the night with a slice of pie in one of First Slice Pie Cafe’s more than ten homemade holiday flavors, including sweet potato praline. $12 per slice. Locations include: 4401 N. Ravenswood Ave., 4664 N. Manor Ave. and 5357 N. Ashland Ave.

11 p.m. — Camp out at Fashion Outlets of Chicago for the ultimate Black Friday experience with sales at more than 100 stores. Stores open at midnight. Located at 5220 Fashion Outlets Way.