Blotter: Oct. 11

Brick thrown through window in south Evanston

A brick was thrown through the window of a house early Thursday morning in south Evanston, according to police.

The brick hit a lamp in the home in the 1900 block of Dobson Street, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The incident happened at about 1 a.m. 

A 49-year-old man who lives in the house spotted three teens before the brick was thrown, but Parrott said officers were unable to obtain descriptions of the teens.

Jewelry stolen from 94-year-old woman’s bedroom 

Several pieces of jewelry were stolen last week from a 94-year-old woman’s bedroom near downtown Evanston, according to police.

Parrott said the woman noticed the jewelry went missing between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Oct. 4. A diamond engagement ring, sapphire diamond bracelet and wedding ring were among the items taken from her residence in the 300 block of Davis Street, according to police.

Police said the woman may know who stole the jewelry, which is worth more than $500. Parrott said she named a suspect and police questioned the person, though no one is in custody.

Scissors used to break into church safe

An office safe was broken into Tuesday evening at Lake Street Church of Evanston, according to police.

Parrott said an administrator at the church, 607 Lake St., found the safe had been pried open with scissors while it was left without supervision between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. The office was unlocked while the safe was unattended.

Keys and funeral records were taken from the safe, according to police.

Parrott said the administrator named a suspect, but no one is in custody.

— Patrick Svitek