Evanston attorney appointed to Cook County Circuit Court

he Illinois Supreme Court announced Friday that Evanston attorney Jerry Esrig has been appointed to the Cook County Circuit Court. Esrig (Weinberg '74) begins the job Oct. 30.

Source: Jerry Esrig for Judge

Patrick Svitek, City Editor

Evanston attorney Jerry Esrig’s bid for the Cook County Circuit received a major boost Friday as the Illinois Supreme Court appointed him to fill a vacant seat.

Esrig (Weinberg ’74), is still running for the ninth subcircuit post, which is up for grabs in next year’s general election. The Evanston resident will replace retiring judge Allen Goldberg when he starts serving his 13-month term Oct. 30.

“I care deeply about our system of justice and I am grateful for this opportunity to serve the profession and the public in a position of great trust,” Esrig said in a news release announcing the appointment. “I will do my best to emulate the many judges I know who combine careful legal analysis with respect for the lawyers and litigants who appear before them.”

U.S. District Court Judge Wayne Andersen, a co-chair of the bipartisan committee that recommended Esrig, said the panel was “honored” to review Esrig’s qualifications. Esrig has practiced law for nearly 30 years, representing a wide variety of clients in case types ranging from personal injury to commercial dispute.

“The breadth of his legal practice, his intelligence, his integrity and his energy will make him an outstanding judge,” Andersen said in the news release.

Esrig kicked off his campaign Sept. 24 at Prairie Moon, 1502 Sherman Ave. He counts Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), and Cook County Commissioner Larry Suffredin, both Evanston residents, among his backers.

The Democratic primary for the seat is March 18.

— Patrick Svitek

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor
Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant City editor, copy editor, reporter and designer. He is from Fort Wayne, Ind., and has interned at the Chicago Tribune, the Huffington Post, Medill News Service, Patch, The Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne,...