Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Strike a pose: Paris Fashion Week highlights burgundy trend

Just as we all experience back-to-school overload during the first week of Fall Quarter, designers and editors scramble to get a sneak peek of all the latest trends in seven short days. Paris Fashion Week is in full swing, previewing spring/summer collections for 2014. While we wait impatiently for the fun spring trends (and weather, I might add), here’s a look at what designers showed last Paris Fashion Week for fall/winter 2013.

This year, designers said “au revoir” to boring basics and “bonjour” to neutrals. Although black will always be a wardrobe staple, many designers incorporated a deep burgundy into their repertoire. A hue somewhere in between a deep red and a blackish purple, this color made a serious statement on Paris runways. Elie Saab opened with multiple beautifully cut and embellished gowns in burgundy, with the runway and shoes decorated to match. At Louis Vuitton, burgundy lips emphasized the boudoir feel of the slinky tops and fur coats. Although Paris Fashion Week demands over-the-top drama, for daily life, a hint is all you need. Here’s how to make these fall trends work for life on Northwestern’s campus.

Upgrade your black or gray neutrals

Burgundy is great because of its versatility — it can go with almost anything. Steer clear of wearing bland black pants to class, and swap them with a burgundy pair to stay current. Pair your new fashionable pants with your favorite worn-in denim shirt, fur vest and low boots for day, or transition them to night with a pair of high-heeled booties and a cream blouse.

Quality, not quantity

If you still want to stay on the pulse of fashion but are a little nervous about investing in a color you’re not sure about, try it in small amounts. For a fast fling with burgundy, Essie’s Sole Mate is a nail polish that looks great on every skin tone. Or take a cue from Louis Vuitton and swipe on a deep lip color like MAC’s Diva before going out at night.

Have fun!

How designers portray looks on the runway is just one interpretation of a certain trend. Experiment with different ways to wear this great fall staple in class, on a night out, cheering on the Wildcats at the football game or during a day in Evanston with your friends. Remember that fashion is supposed to be fun — so change things up and enjoy all the compliments that come with it!

Twitter: @kesiewert