Popular fitness workout comes to Evanston

Ebony Calloway/The Daily Northwestern
Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl (center) cuts the ribbon Thursday evening to mark the opening of Pure Barre, 910 Church St. The studio offers classes in the ballet barre workout.

The newest fitness craze has arrived in Evanston, and it’s designed just for women.

Pure Barre, a franchise studio featuring the ballet barre workout, celebrated its launch Thursday evening with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Manager Katelyn Newey thanked the attendees, who included Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl and Ald. Don Wilson (4th).

“Everyone’s been just so welcoming,” Newey said. “We look forward to a great future and connecting the community.”

The studio, 910 Church St., offers classes in the barre workout, which is “the fastest, most effective way for women to change the shape of their bodies,” according to Pure Barre.

Newey, a certified personal trainer and registered yoga teacher, swears by the effectiveness of Pure Barre. She said the 55-minute class burns a high level of calories and produces lean, long muscles.

“It works every muscle to fatigue,” she said. “We’re trying to get to the point where muscles are shaking.”

The barre workout method was created in 2001 and has grown in popularity since then. Pure Barre, just one company using the workout, has opened more than 150 studios around the country since it became a franchise in 2009.

Since its birth, Pure Barre has focused on women. The workout is adapted to concentrate on the body parts “women struggle with the most,” according to Pure Barre.

Newey stressed the barre workout is suitable for everyone. The technique is “low-impact,” meaning “there’s no stress on the joints,” Newey said.

The mayor said she is thankful for the new studio because “they’re here to promote health and wellness.”

Newey decided to join the Pure Barre franchise because she shares common goals and visions with the technique. She said she chose Evanston for its demographic, which includes many mothers and thousands of Northwestern students.

With Pure Barre a few blocks from campus, Newey plans on attracting many students to the studio. Already, Pure Barre offers special discounts to students, including a one-month unlimited pass at $175, and $10 classes on Saturdays when the football team has home games.

Newey has also reached out to the sororities to have “Barre-ties” at the studio. Groups can come in to take classes and spend time together.

“It’s a great sisterhood bonding time,” Newey said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin