Women’s Tennis: Cats confident in combination of youth and experience

There is no such thing as relaxing in the off-season for Northwestern. The NCAA season does not start until January, but the Wildcats have been hard at work preparing for numerous ITA tournaments this fall. Excitement surrounding this team is already inescapable.

There are four freshmen on the Cats’ roster this year, and they are contributing new vigor to an already impressive team atmosphere.

“The freshmen bring a lot of energy. They’re really excited about everything,” senior Belinda Niu said. “It’s kind of a sentiment we haven’t experienced so much in the past.”

Many teams might lack confidence in a roster as young as NU’s, but the Cats, who have claimed 15 straight Big Ten Conference Championships, plan to use their unique dynamic to their advantage.

“We’re trying to create a culture of investment, integrity and improvement,” coach Claire Pollard said. “It’s on the back of their (practice) shirts.”

The team is certainly ready to embrace that culture.

Pollard has a remarkable 141-11 record in regular season Big Ten matches, proving the Cats are the team to beat in conference play. To add to this merit, NU has advanced to the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament for 10 consecutive seasons. Not surprisingly, Pollard received a contract extension this year, ensuring her valuable presence with the team through 2020.

There is certainly something special happening on the NU courts, and even those new to the team have learned to respect the intricate culture.

“Our coaches have been working with me technically, and as a team we’re working a lot on the team environment,” freshman Maddie Lip said. “Nothing really compares college tennis to tennis in high school.”

After gaining the four new freshmen and one transfer, the team recognizes they must work hard to get the most out of the time they have together before conference play begins. “We’re still feeling our way and trying to figure out what this group’s all about,” Pollard said. “We’ve got to sort out our doubles teams — that’s something we need to figure out.”

The Cats graduated three seniors last year, which, on a current team of nine, makes quite an impact on the team’s identity. However, with many tournaments and playing opportunities before conference play begins, no one seems worried about the team’s potential to adjust.

“Certain players are irreplaceable,” Pollard said. “But we’ve added some tremendous players, and I expect them to adapt well to the college environment.”

That adjustment does not always come naturally, and the coaches are very involved in helping the players achieve success both in the classroom and on the courts. “If there’s nothing else, effort and hard work prioritize over everything,” Niu said. “Claire really drives this home with all of us. No matter what the situation is, those are the two things that are always in your control.”

Effort and hard work. It’s a simple formula embodied by NU’s entire team. Effort and hard work are especially important for the team this year as they scramble to find their identity and their rhythm in time for conference play.

However, if there is reason to be worried, no one told Pollard, who, when asked about key players to look out for this year, answered “all of them.”

Twitter: @tykooks