5K puts Black Alumni Association on track to reach scholarship goal

Runners and spectators gather after the 5K to watch the awards ceremony on Saturday morning. The NU 5K Walk/Run, co-sponsored by the NU Black Alumni Association, raised money for scholarships for African-American students at Northwestern.
Ellie Friedmann/The Daily Northwestern

The Northwestern University Black Alumni Association’s Race for Diversity on Saturday helped the organization raise $50,000 for a scholarship that will be endowed by NU for the first time this year.

The annual NUBAA 5K walk/run, the organization’s largest fundraiser of the year, had its eighth run on the Lakefill. The scholarship will be divided next year among incoming black students who demonstrate financial need.

“Once you hit the $50,000 mark, then Northwestern officially endows the scholarship, and it continues in perpetuity,” said Veronica Hancock (Weinberg ’91), the event’s chief organizer. “We reached that $50,000 mark this year so we’re very proud of that.”

About 200 people participated in the race, Hancock said.

“It’s a lot of people that are affiliated with Northwestern, either alums, students or faculty, but we also reached out to a lot of schools in the area,” Hancock said of the turnout. “We have a lot of students, both high school and grade school students, participate this year, which is the first time we did that as extensively as we did.”

Younger participants ran in a “fun run” separate from the 5K, but everyone prepared for the events together. Monica Lewers (Weinberg ’89), a personal trainer and fitness consultant, led stretches and other warm-up activities.

“I’m an alum, so this school is near and dear to my heart,” Lewers said. “I also was a secretary for NUBAA soon after I graduated, so being a part of an organization that gives back and pays for a wonderful school like Northwestern, I couldn’t have a better place to spend my time.”

Weinberg freshman Karley Woods was the first runner in the female category to cross the finish line.

“I am a black undergraduate student, and I plan on being a part of the Northwestern University Black Alumni Association,” Woods said. “So I just think it’s good way to come out and support the alumni who I know are always there for me if I need them.”

Graduate student Guillermo Munoz (Bienen ’12) came in first in the male category, finishing in an impressive time of 16:56 for the 5K. He said he raced Saturday because he could have fun and contribute to an important cause at the same time.

“For one thing, I was just looking for 5Ks online one day, and this came up at the top of the search,” he said. “Then I read more about it and the purpose of the scholarship … and I figured it would be a good cause. What better way to do it than with something I like to do?”