Evanston economic director Steve Griffin stepping down

Manuel Rapada, Breaking News Editor

Evanston’s top economic official is stepping down after accepting a position in a coastal Alabama town, the city announced today.

Steve Griffin, Evanston’s director of community and economic development since 2010, will become city administrator in Gulf Shores, Ala.. He returns there after serving in a similar economic director role from in the 1990s.

Griffin was a key official involved in the 2011 controversy over Evanston’s so-called “brothel law,” after reports suggested the city was preparing to enforce the antiquated occupancy ordinance.

“While we thank him for his outstanding service and wish him all the best in his new position, he leaves behind a strong department that is serving the community very well,” city manager Wally Bobkiewicz said in a statement to staff.

Griffin’s last day with Evanston will be April 26. The city is now looking nationwide for his replacement.

— Manuel Rapada

About the Writer
Manuel Rapada, Web Editor
Manuel Rapada is a Medill senior studying journalism, business institutions and integrated marketing communications. His past positions at The Daily include city editor, social media/breaking news editor and managing editor. The San Francisco Bay Area native is also a counselor with the Office of Undergraduate Admission. He has previously worked for GreatSchools, Adobe and GOOD...