Softball: Amy Letourneau sweeps national weekly accolades

Northwestern sophomore Amy Letourneau won both the Louisville Slugger/NFCA and USA Softball College player of the week honors for the week of March 25-31. Letourneau no-hit Minnesota in a 6-2 win Friday and hit .750 for the weekend.
Daily file photo by Meghan White

Amy Letourneau’s performance last weekend got the attention of the national softball community.

The sophomore won both the Louisville Slugger/NFCA and USA Softball College player of the week honors for the week of March 25-31. She began the week with her first collegiate no-hitter Friday in a 6-2 win over Minnesota and accumulated a 2-0 record over the weekend. Letourneau also had a remarkable week at the plate, hitting .750 and slugging two home runs.

Letourneau was named the Big Ten Player of the Week for the first time Monday, and the national accolades are also the first in her career.

“Amy has had great poise in big moments this season, and that is what it comes down to,” coach Kate Drohan said in a news release. “When we have to get an out in the circle or need that two-out RBI base hit, Amy is getting it done. She is really locked in right now.”

The pitcher is 10-8 with a 1.46 ERA through Tuesday’s loss to Loyola (Chicago) and has 164 strikeouts. In the batter’s box, Letourneau is hitting a shade less than .300 with five homers and 14 RBI.

“This is such an amazing honor to be chosen for this award, especially with all of the great players around the country who have earned it already this season,” Letourneau said in the release. “We are playing with such a winning attitude right now both on defense and in the batter’s box, and I have been able to feed off of that confidence.”

— Josh Walfish