Updated: Northwestern to play in Gator Bowl

Source: Gator Bowl website
Northwestern will play Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl on New Year’s Day. The two teams will square off noon at the EverBank Field in Jacksonville.

Update, 8:30 p.m.:

Gameday editor Josh Walfish has the full take on NU’s plans for Jacksonville.

Update, 7:30 p.m.:

In a news release this evening, NU athletic director Jim Phillips called the Gator Bowl a “tremendous opportunity for Northwestern football.”

“We are thrilled to be bringing the Northwestern football program and our fans to what is truly one of the most appealing bowl destinations in the country,” Phillips said. “(Gator Bowl president) Rick Catlett and his staff at the Gator Bowl go to great lengths to guarantee a memorable experience for fans, staff and, most importantly, the student-athletes.”

The New Year’s Day match-up will be televised nationally on EPSN2, according to the release.

Update, 4:30 p.m.:

Northwestern’s opponent in the Gator Bowl will be Mississippi State, according to the bowl game’s website.

The two teams will meet noon Jan. 1, 2013, at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.

Update, 3:15 p.m.:

Shortly after the athletic department’s tweet, the University confirmed the bowl announcement in a Facebook post.

“Our SEC opponent is TDB (sic) right now,” NU said. “We’ll have more information shortly.”

Original story:

It’s official: Northwestern is headed to Jacksonville to play in the Gator Bowl on New Year’s Day.

NU’s athletic department confirmed the news in a tweet moments ago, saying the team is “excited to accept a bid to play” in the Gator Bowl.

The Wildcats’ opponent in the bowl game is not yet determined. They are expected to face an SEC team.

The Gator Bowl selection means NU will not play in the Capital One Bowl, which many fans thought was in reach this year. Instead, Nebraska (10-3) got the nod even after its 70-31 loss to Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship game on Saturday.

NU coach Pat Fitzgerald is expected to address the bowl announcement at a news conference this evening.

Josh Walfish contributed reporting.

— Patrick Svitek