TV Review: ‘Tis the season to waste away your winter break on Netflix

With Fall Quarter rapidly coming to an end, you are likely bursting with excitement every time you imagine finally crawling back into your cozy bed, sipping hot chocolate and doing absolutely nothing for three weeks. After a crippling number of final exams and term papers, you deserve a relaxing break. Check out our guide of excellent canceled shows on Netflix’s instant stream to help occupy the sudden amount of free time soon to overwhelm you. Because only Northwestern students would stress about free time, we’ve also included a couple off-season shows you can catch up on in order to feed your craving for constant productivity.

“Arrested Development” (2003 – 2005)

This program may just be the smartest, subtly hilarious show to have ever existed on television. It focuses on a dysfunctional family that loses everything in a bad business move and how the one responsible son attempts to pick up the pieces. Watch this show if you’re looking for an amusing and original comedy that trumps all current television humor.

“Firefly” (2002) 

If you’re into sci-fi and aren’t pleased with new shows like “Terra Nova,” “Firefly” is the adventure series for you. Set 500 years in the future, it focuses on a quirky team of renegades traveling on a transportation spaceship. This magnificent show lasted only one season on television, but it’s still worthwhile to fully immerse yourself in one of Joss Whedon’s earlier works.

“Freaks and Geeks” (1999)

If you like “Mean Girls” (what NU student doesn’t?), you’ll surely enjoy this classic show centered on typical high school students managing social lives among exclusive cliques. If nothing else, it’ll make you even more joyous you’ve conquered that stage in your life. Plus, see where famous actors Jason Segel, James Franco and Seth Rogen really began their careers.

“Breaking Bad” (2008 – present)

If you’ve never heard of this show, you may need to invest in a different place of residence to replace that rock you’ve been living under. “Breaking Bad” focuses on a high school chemistry teacher who defaces all his moral values once he’s diagnosed with lung cancer and becomes sucked deep into the underground world of crystal meth-heads. This is the kind of show you’ll want to start from the beginning. Luckily, seasons one through four are right at your fingertips, so start catching up before the second half of season five returns in the summer. Get addicted!

“Louie” (2010 – present)

“Louie” is a dark and simple comedy about a mediocre comedian and his daily struggles as a single parent living in New York City. New episodes will return next year for season four, but the previous three seasons are readily available. If you’re planning on watching an excessive amount of TV back-to-back, make sure to mix other programs in with this one to relieve the stress or frustration induced by this show.

Other shows to check out on Netflix include “Twin Peaks” (1990), “Undeclared” (2001), “My So-Called Life” (1994 – 1995) and “Sports Night” (1998 – 2000).