Emanuel endorses Northwestern’s plan for Prentice as commission slates issue

Source: Wikimedia Commons
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Tuesday endorsed Northwestern’s plan to build a new research facility in place of the old Prentice Women’s Hospital.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel voiced his support today for Northwestern’s controversial plan to tear down the former site of Prentice Women’s Hospital and replace it with a biomedical research facility.

“My position is guided by the belief that we should constantly strive to build a better future. As we have throughout our history, every time Chicago rebuilds, we build a stronger, more global city,” Emanuel said in a Chicago Tribune op-ed provided to The Daily by his office. “It is clear that the current building cannot accommodate the groundbreaking research facility that Northwestern needs to build, and I support the decision to rebuild on the site.”

Hours after Emanuel’s announcement, the Chicago Commission on Landmarks added the issue to the agenda for its Thursday meeting.

Earlier this month, Emanuel was undecided on whether to demolish the women’s hospital, which was designed by architect Bertrand Goldberg and has become a cause celebre of local preservationists.

The Save Prentice Coalition, a leading opponent of NU’s proposal, ripped Emanuel’s endorsement in a statement this afternoon.

“Northwestern says it can only conduct important medical research and create jobs by tearing down Prentice,” the coalition said. “Apparently, Mayor Emanuel finds this argument persuasive. We do not.”

If the commission lends landmark status to the hospital, NU would have a much harder time knocking it down.

In a statement this afternoon, University spokesman Al Cubbage said NU officials were “very pleased” with Emanuel’s support and look forward to making their case before before the commission Thursday.

Marshall Cohen contributed reporting.

— Patrick Svitek