Evanston Police fan city for clues in Harsha Maddula investigation

Patrick Svitek, Online Managing Editor

Evanston Police spent the weekend tracing Harsha Maddula’s final steps.

EPD investigators canvassed the area between 2000 Ridge Ave. and Wilmette Harbor, looking for residents who may have spotted Maddula after he left an off-campus party in the early morning hours of Sept. 22.

Six days after Maddula was last seen, a fisherman found his body floating in the harbor. The discovery raised still-unanswered questions about how and why the McCormick sophomore made the two-mile trek from the Ridge Avenue party to Gillson Park, which borders the Wilmette lakefront.

This weekend’s canvassing was not the first time investigators have followed Maddula’s last movements, EPD Cmdr. Jay Parrott said in an email to The Daily on Friday.

Instead, the purpose was a “more informative and global response to solicit information from the community,” Parrott said.

Parrott did not say Sunday afternoon whether this weekend’s surveying produced any credible leads.

Police focused on the time range between 10:30 p.m. Sept. 21 and 1:30 a.m. Sept. 22 as they questioned residents this weekend, according to a news release.

Parrott has called Maddula’s apparent walk from the off-campus party to the park a “direct route” with no indications that Maddula may have taken side streets or alleyways.

Patrick Svitek

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor

Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant...