The Week That Was: Week of Sept. 30

Commemorating Harsha

After the body of missing McCormick student Harsha Maddula was found in Wilmette Harbor , the Northwestern community and his family united as one. Even with different beliefs, attendees came together in memory of Maddula during a vigil Friday on Deering Meadow. University President Morton Schapiro, other administrators and representatives from student organizations consoled Maddula’s family and fellow students.

NU football wins 5th straight game, ranked 24th nationally

Cheers echoed out of Ryan Field last Saturday after the Wildcats’ fifth straight victory of the season. This time, the Cats bested the Indiana Hoosiers, their first Big Ten opponent.  In the latest Associated Press poll, NU was ranked 24th in the nation. The Wildcats are now 5-0, and with one more win, they’ll reach the number they need for bowl eligibility. With a chance to become the first team to be eligible for the bowl this season, the Wildcats face the Penn State Nittany Lions on Saturday.

NU in Chicago

Last Sunday, along with upperclassmen leaders and faculty, Northwestern students were given the opportunity to explore the nearby city of Chicago. Students were divided into groups organized around a theme. Some of the themes were Arts in Chicago, Chica-GO!: Transportation in the City, Chicago’s Public Spaces, Global A: Chicago’s Ethnic Neighborhoods, Leadership & Community Development: Eden Place, and many more.

All-Campus Voter Registration Day

The All-Campus Voter Registration Day took place Wednesday, initiated by Northwestern’s Center for Civic Engagement and NU Votes in an effort to encourage students to vote. Hours before the first presidential debate, students could visit registration tables across the Evanston campus. Despite the complications of states with different voting requirements, NU Votes offered registration information and absentee ballots to promote students’ right to vote.

The Week That Was: Week of Sept. 30