This week we’re obsessed with…Army Navy

Photo courtesy of Army Navy
Army Navy, this week’s obsession, will perform in Chicago Oct. 8.

Between Wildcat Welcome and the first week of classes, I regretfully have not had time to go into Chicago since arriving on campus. I’ve been to the city more times than I can count (my father not-so-secretly wants to live here instead of Bloomington, Minn.), but I’ve always figured my first time there as a full-fledged college student would be vaguely meaningful. Wonderfully enough, that will be Oct. 8, my first time seeing indie band Army Navy live.

Army Navy is a Los Angeles-based indie-rock band featuring Justin Kennedy, Grant Lovelace, Douglas Randall and Louie Schultz. The group released its self-titled first album in 2008 to rave reviews. Each song on the album is fantastic; I have spent hours singing along to the infectiously fun record. All the songs are musically complex and downright beautiful. This is surf-influenced, jangly, power pop that cuts straight to your heart — and also your feet (for dancing).

I can’t claim to understand the meaning behind any of the band’s song lyrics. Even the songs I can sing by heart (“Dark as Days,” “My Thin Sides,” “Saints” and “Snakes of Hawaii”) still befuddle me conceptually. Yet the enigmatic lyrics contain no artifice; they truly sound like poems worthy of a thorough explication. For example, take the chorus to the upbeat “Dark as Days”: “But I won’t ever believe it till I melt inside/I won’t ever be free until I let you die/Yeah, I never believed in the power/It slips away/I always needed a plan to dislocate.”

The band combines two of my great loves: interesting music without an ounce of superficiality, and the alternative comedy world. I first heard Army Navy when it did a guest appearance on Randy and Jason Sklar’s comedy/sports/indie-rock podcast “Sklarbro Country.” The video for the band’s first single, “My Thin Sides,” stars Paul Scheer (“The League,” “Human Giant,” “NTSF: SD: SUV::”); its newest video, “World’s End,” premiered on Aug. 28 and stars Martin Starr (“Freaks and Geeks,” “Party Down”) as the rude host of a 60s talk show with the band as a musical guest.

I have no doubt that soon, Army Navy’s concerts will be in massive packed clubs. The band members are all extremely talented and are rising fast. When that time comes, I will be ecstatic for them. But for now, I’ll be happy to see one of my favorite bands live for a mere $15. Bottom Lounge: here I come.

This week we’re obsessed with…Army Navy