Evanston seniors celebrate Levy Center’s 10th anniversary

Evanston residents celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Levy Senior Center on Saturday night with food, live music and speeches.

The Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave., is one of six centers in Illinois that are nationally accredited by the National Council on Aging. It offers programs and activities to senior citizens on weekdays, ranging from senior basketball teams to computer software classes.

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl and other local leaders gave speeches praising the building and those who use it.

“This building, of course, is the heart of the senior community,” Schakowsky said. “But it’s also much more than that — I believe it’s the heart of Evanston.”

Tisdal paid tribute to the seniors who use the facilities.

“We’re lucky to have this building in Evanston, but it’s the people who use this building that make it as fabulous as it is,” Tisdahl said.

The Levy Senior Center began serving seniors 40 years ago. The center was once located at 1700 Maple Ave., but funding from the Levy Family Foundation allowed for updated facilities at the current location.

“We’ve come so far. We’re out of space, which is a good problem.” said Christina Ferraro, the center manager.

Levy member Ardella Buren joined the center five years ago after moving to Evanston from St. Louis. She said the activities she takes part in at the senior center, including ping pong and volunteer work, hold a special place in her heart.

“(The Levy Center) is a big part and great part of my life,” she said.