Wrestling: Pariano named coach for US Cadets team

Northwestern wrestling coach named coach of US Cadets Team Northwestern wrestling coach Drew Pariano said he expects to be announced as a coach on the U.S. Cadet World team. USA Wrestling has yet to make an official announcement about the coaching staff, and as of now, Pariano’s exact role on the coaching staff has not been determined.

“It’s a reflection of the program,” Pariano said. “We continue to support the Olympic movement. That really starts on the Cadet level. I think it’s really important to support the Olympic styles of wrestling.”

The Cadet World Team typically features the top 15-17 year-old wrestlers in the country. Training camp begins in Colorado on Aug. 14 and continues until Aug. 19. The team will leave for Baku, Azerbaijan on Aug. 19 for more training and the competition.

Pariano will be joined on the staff by 2006 world champion Bill Zadick as well as other college coaches.

The new job continues a summer of success for the NU wrestling program. Earlier in the year, former Wildcats wrestler and NCAA Champion Jake Herbert qualified for the 2012 Olympics. Former NU wrestler Brandon Precin also qualified for the Olympic trials.

“It’s been a great post-season,” Pariano said. “It’s exciting and it’s what we expect. We expect our guys to wrestle and compete in national and world events.”

Pariano’s job on the Cadet team is not expected to create any situation with the NCAA in terms of recruiting. NU will have to file reports with college athletics’ governing body, but Pariano has already worked with USA Wrestling in the past.

A USA Wrestling official could not be reached for comment. Rohan Nadkarni