This Week We’re Obsessed with…The Cast of The Avengers

For the past week, nearly every conversation I’ve had has been related to The Avengers. After wading through a rainstorm to see the midnight premiere and then going back again this past weekend for an encore viewing, it’s safe to say I’m obsessed. And considering The Avengers has made $1 billion worldwide in just over two weeks, everyone seems to be obsessed along with me. It’s not just the awesome action scenes, the great one-liners and the extremely talented and attractive actors onscreen. My obsession has caused me to watch countless hours of cast interviews and led to me to one major conclusion: The Avengers cast may be my favorite film ensemble, and I’d give anything to just hang out with them. Everyone knows Robert Downey Jr. embodies a perfect Tony Stark. Charming, wealthy, snarky, good-looking (and he knows it), plus a recovering alcoholic? Yeah, RDJ does not even have to act; he simply is Iron Man. Chris Evans is probably the sweetest man in the world. I mean, he admits to watching “My Little Pony” as a kid and that his dog is his best friend. Jeremy Renner is hilarious and flirty, and for some reason, obsessed with naps. None of the cast can shut up about Chris Hemsworth’s giant muscles, and Mark Ruffalo seems to be in love with everyone. And then there’s Scarlett Johansson, the lone female, making fun of the absurd men around her. If I had one wish, it would be to go out for drinks with these wonderful dorks. Even the non-Avengers are perfect. Clark Gregg, who plays fan-favorite SHIELD agent Phil Coulson, is just as nonchalantly badass as his character. After breaking his hand during filming he came up with a bunch of absurd back stories, including a Pringle can gun. At this point, he’s basically my middle-aged man crush. But my favorite person from this cast, the one person I would give anything to talk to (though I’d probably freak out if that happened), is Tom Hiddleston. Last year’s Thor was his first major American role because he is, in fact, a very classy British actor. He’s also the biggest fan of his own character, the villainous but still somehow lovable Loki. Hiddleston could go on for hours about how much he loves Loki, how he feels for him and how sympathetic he is. In fact, sometimes it feels like Hiddleston actually thinks he is Loki. It is rare to see an actor go from Shakespeare (he’s playing Henry V in an upcoming BBC adaptation) to a comic book villain. He went to some of the best schools in Britain and is arguably a genius. On the other hand, he recently did an MTV video where he played dumb pranks and twirled an invisible mustache while yelling “LOKI’D!” and “I’M THE VILLAIN!” Basically, if Tom Hiddleston showed up at my door right now and proposed to me, I’d say yes with no questions asked. The Avengers, as the box office receipts prove, is an amazing movie. But I really love it for bringing together this cast of perfect people and giving them an excuse to be interviewed constantly. -Aliza Weinberger