Fencing: Northwestern medals in all three weapons at National Squad Championships

For Northwestern, maybe there is the opportunity for second chances.

After heading to New York University approximately one month ago for the NYU Invitational and losing to then-No. 3 Notre Dame, then-No. 6 Ohio State and then-unranked Columbia, the Wildcats went back this past weekend for the National Squad Championships and dominated, winning medals in all three weapons.

“We did better in New York this time than the last time,” coach Laurie Schiller said.

Sunday’s competition featured several different fencing squads from around the nation, including members of top teams like No. 3 Princeton and No. 5 St. John’s. This was the Cats’ final tournament before entering postseason play at the Midwest Conference Championships.

Schiller said NU had a very successful performance, defeating some of the top fencers in the nation, which should give the Cats confidence heading into the Midwest Conference Championships.

“We went and tried to have some fun and prepare for the (Midwest Conference Championships) this past week,” Schiller said. “And we won three medals.”

The NU foil and sabre squads finished third, with the epee squad finishing second. The Cats’ epee squad also upset a St. John’s epee squad that was the No. 1 seed at the event.

“We had a pretty good trip, and I am pleased we were able to take a trip and I was able to feel that way,” Schiller said. “Throughout this season we haven’t always been able to accomplish our goals in these situations.”

Schiller said he hopes the success of this event will lead to the Cats having more confidence going into the postseason. In the past, NU did not compete in this tournament and instead participated in a club event, which Schiller said might have not been the best preparation for the event.

“Just fencing better competition and doing well will give you a better confidence,” Schiller said.

Next week’s event will be one of the Cats’ most difficult tests. Though Schiller said he feels the only real competition at the event for NU is No. 1 Ohio State and No. 4 Notre Dame, he wants to make sure the Cats finish on top.

“We will probably be in the top three as we always are, but we don’t want to be third,” Schiller said. “It will be interesting. I think all of the three teams can win the gold medal.”