Fencing: Relaxed Wildcats prepare for club teams at Northwestern Duals

As Vince Lombardi famously said, “Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing.” For No. 4 Northwestern, that quote has ceased to apply as the Wildcats enter the second weekend of the NU Duals. The Cats will face mostly club teams, allowing them to focus on having fun while continuing to improve their record before postseason play.

“This is our chance to get other fencers in,” coach Laurie Schiller said.

Schiller said he plans to get all of his fencers into the tournament this weekend while giving some of his starters a rest.

The event, which will take place on Saturday at Patten Gymnasium, will feature fencers from 11 different club and varsity fencing teams competing in dual competitions. Besides NU, Lawrence University is the only other NCAA Division I varsity team competing.

Most of the Cats said they are pleased about the less intense competition they will see this weekend and will enjoy the “break” after five straight weeks of tough competition.

“I’d say last weekend was the end of our regular competitive season,” said junior foilist Dayana Sarkisova, who was named the National Fencer of the Week by CollegeFencing360.com this week for her 16-1 performance at last weekend’s NU Duals. “I think all of us are trying to rest these next few weeks until the postseason begins.”

But while the Cats are excited about relaxing this weekend, the team once again has high goals and expects success.

“We want to win every single bout this weekend,” senior sabrist Annelise Eeman, said. “There are 10 teams so that is 270 bouts. So we want to go 270-0 this weekend. I know that is a lofty goal, but I think we can do that.”

This weekend gives NU the opportunity to have every fencer compete in the event, allowing younger fencers to gain experience.

“This weekend we’re trying to rotate the lineups, get as many fencers who haven’t fenced that much this season into bouts,” Sarkisova said. “New lineups will get unexperienced fencers into a lot of bouts, which is always good.”

The weekend will also give sophomore epeeist and second team all-American Dina Bazarbayeva the opportunity to continue to fence after beginning her season last weekend at the NU Duals. While Schiller said she probably will not fence much this weekend, her performance last weekend at NU Duals allowed her to qualify for NCAA regionals.

“It’s always good to have somebody who is a second team all-American get back into the game,” Schiller said.

And for Eeman and the other seniors, this is their final weekend ever fencing in a tournament at NU. Although last weekend included a senior appreciation event with several of the seniors’ parents coming out to the tournament, this weekend will be just as emotional.

“It’s great to stand up with my seniors and have a last hoorah at home,” Eeman said. “It’s like another jewel on the crown of my experience at NU.”