Fencing: Northwestern returns home to tough slate in NU Duals

Homecoming is hardly a time for celebration and relaxation for Northwestern. While the No. 4 Wildcats are excited to return home for the first time in nearly three months this weekend at the NU Duals, there is also a high level of intensity preparing for their last regular season competition against other varsity teams before postseason play.

“This is one of our last opportunities to put ourselves in a good position for (the Midwest Conference Championships),” freshman epeeist Courtney Dumas said.

The event, which will take place this Saturday and Sunday at the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion, will feature several top-ranked collegiate fencing teams from around the country including No. 2 Princeton, No. 8 Temple and No. 10 Duke.

Even with this tough competition, coach Laurie Schiller said he expects a lot of success from his team this weekend and feels its performance last weekend at the Notre Dame Duals prepared it well. The Cats (22-5) won eight of their nine duals at Notre Dame, only losing to the defending national champion Fighting Irish.

“I want us to fence the way we did this past weekend,” Schiller said. “I want us to win every match.”

Schiller said with NU’s three duals against Princeton, Temple and Duke, he expects the Cats to win at least two.

Likely the biggest dual of the weekend will be against Temple. After the Owls upset NU in a very close 14-13 dual at the Philadelphia Invitational two weeks ago, the Cats hope to gain a little revenge against Temple.

“We definitely want to redeem ourselves against Temple,” junior foilist Dayana Sarkisova said. “That is probably our biggest focus.”

On top of facing three ranked opponents, NU will also honor its seniors this weekend in their final major tournament at NU.

For the members of the team that have been part of a 142-22 dual-competition run, this weekend will be a little bit sentimental.

“I’m just trying to enjoy it and stay excited,” senior foilist Kerry Bickford said. “I’m trying to treat it just like any other weekend, but it’s going to have a little more pressure.”

The NU Duals will give the Cats their first opportunity to compete at home since USFA Junior Olympics Qualifier. Many of the fencers said they are pleased with the opportunity and feel that fencing in front of their friends and fans might create positive pressure that could help them during the tournament.

“It has provided us more motivation to win,” junior epeeist Kendrick Mooney said. “I know the seniors don’t want to lose in their final competition at home, and we don’t want to lose with our friends in the stands.”

The weekend may also include the first appearance of sophomore epeeist and second team All-American Dina Bazarbayeva, who has not competed this season due to injuries.

“She seems to be progressing a little bit slower than expected so she is going to be a gametime decision,” Schiller said.