Q&A: Northwestern symphony conductor Victor Yampolsky

Renowned conductor Victor Yampolsky will lead the Northwestern Symphony Orchestra’s performance of Gustav Mahler’s Third Symphony in shows Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall.

Yampolsky, 69, emigrated from the Soviet Union in 1973 and played with Leonard Bernstein and the Boston Symphony Orchestra for seven years. In 1984, Yampolsky became the Carol F. and Arthur L. Rice Jr. University Professor in Performance and Conducting at NU’s Bienen School of Music. He has conducted 83 different orchestras.

Yampolsky discussed the upcoming symphony concerts, ice hockey and the moments that make him weak in the knees.

Q: What is your earliest memory of music?

A: Both of my parents were classical musicians, pianists, so I remember at four distinctly hearing it. At the time, there was never a doubt in my mind that all humans heard the same sounds that I did. It was only later that I realized I was in a small group of people who grew up with classical music.

Q: Why did you leave the Soviet Union?

A: It was not originated from me, but in response to my brother’s decision to leave for Israel. My brother’s departure meant that I could no longer advance professionally, even though it was technically legal for my brother to leave. So, I emigrated in April 1973 at 30 years old.

Q: Why did you choose to come to NU?

A: First, the quality of the faculty and students, in my opinion, is the highest in the country. Second, the position enabled me to build the program to my liking and I always had encouragement to do so. Third, my family and I wanted to put down roots.

Q: Have you ever made a big mistake during a performance?

A: I made one huge mistake at Carnegie Hall. Let me take you back: It’s 1965. I had just gotten my first job with the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra. We were on a three-month tour to show the great force of Soviet culture, music and talent. At one of the 12 concerts we played at Carnegie Hall in New York City, I came in loud and clear during a rest, by myself. After, I was immediately called to the green room. Remember, I was only 23 at the time. The director said, “Do you realize what you did? I could put you on a plane back to Moscow.” I apologized a lot, and as I was leaving, he said, “But I loved your sound.”

Q: Why did you decide on Mahler’s Third Symphony?

A: Mahler’s symphonies are for large orchestral forces,which enables me to use a vast amount of talent in our school. And it’s simply so beautiful, the finale takes my breath away.

Q: Do you ever get nervous before performances?

A: Every time. It’s a tall order, conducting such extraordinary music. But the moment I hear the first note,it turns a switch and I do not feel the nerves. Sometimes, once it’s done, then my knees start shaking, even though it’s over.

Q: How is conducting students different from conducting professionals?

A: I prefer to work with students because of their high degree of curiosity. They also have blind trust (in the conductor).

Q: Outside of music, what are you passionate about?

A: I love ice hockey. It was a passion for all kids who grew up in Moscow. I watch the Blackhawks. But on every team, you’ll see Russian names on their uniforms.