Blotter: Jan. 12

Chicago man arrested after groping LA Fitness employee

A 67-year-old Chicago male and regular patron of LA Fitness, 1618 Sherman Ave., was arrested Tuesday at the health club after groping an employee’s genitals in a nearby parking lot one day earlier.

The employee, a 23-year-old Chicago resident who works at LA Fitness, said the suspect approached him in the nearby parking lot late Monday night, Evanston Police Department spokesman Cmdr. Jay Parrott said.

The suspect first made a motion like he was going to shake hands and said, “You’re a really nice guy.”

Then, the 67-year-old groped the victim and “grabbed his privates,” Parrott said.

Police apprehended the suspect Tuesday after the victim saw him again at the health club. The man was charged with one count of simple battery because there is no Illinois statute for “what people would consider sexual battery,” Parrott said.

Thief steals Louis Vuitton purse, cookies

A package delivered to a building in the 1900 block of Sherman Avenue containing an $820 brown Louis Vuitton purse and $23 worth of cookies of unspecified flavor was reported stolen Tuesday.

Cmdr. Parrott said the package went missing Dec. 7 but was not reported until Tuesday.

Parrott said the package was taken “soon after it was dropped off.

That time was somewhere between 4:30 and 7 p.m. There was no description available for the suspect.

– Marshall Cohen

View Jan. 12 in a larger map