Mitrakos: Post-college, don’t stay na

A few weeks ago I received an email in response to my column on the rising discrepancy between tuition and average income. They said I was young and naïve in my criticism of rising tuition and that I had a general illusion about companies’ appreciating good workers with impressive degrees. The email concluded with a statement about how I should stay that way, ignorant to reality, because I am really lucky in having no idea about how the real world works.

Over the course of the last 10 weeks I have admitted to being naïve about a host of topics and the many nuances of life, some of which I criticized in my writing. I know my petty criticism is just a drop in the water and in most cases not particularly unique. But I would not suggest to anyone that maintaining illusions about the real world is a good thing.

I thought writing a column every week would be relatively inconsequential, but I found myself reading more articles and looking at global and national affairs from a critical perspective. Keeping up with the news to make my columns relevant and interesting made me appreciate the value of engaging material outside the classroom.

Yes, my criticism has not changed much about the real world. Think of what has happened since I commented on several events: Greece’s bond ratings have fallen further, the revolutions in the Middle East have now been coined the Arab Spring, spending cuts are still an issue in Congress, BP is not likely to take greater responsibility for the oil spill, Alexi Giannoulias will still have critics;and tuition won’t be going down anytime soon. But being able to apply what we have learned in our classes in the form of thoughtful criticism is an important part of our collective educational experience.

Of course I am still very young and naïve, and I do not claim to be an expert on all the topics I have discussed. But I do not intend to remain that way. If I can offer any substantial advice for my peers it is to not remain ignorant to the way the world works. Engage your readings, and apply your classwork to real life examples. Pick up the newspaper or read through online articles (even if you are not in Medill). Travel abroad to experience how other people live and learn.

Admittedly, my advice is cliché. But it’s not insignificant. Learning to realize your placement in life is an important grounding measure that can help us prepare for future disappointments or challenges. Be thankful for the opportunities Northwestern offers and don’t pass up the chance to talk with professors and classmates. Take the initiative to break the intellectual bubble we sometimes live in, and don’t remain indifferent about the world.

Vasiliki Mitrakos is a Weinberg sophomore. She can be reached at [email protected].