East Meets West: Teriyaki Chicken Rice Burger

America is a patchwork of cultures, a unique hybrid that reflects our food. Italian pizza has morphed into Chicago deep-dish, while sushi has gained popularity in the form of California rolls. Chinese food has immersed itself into the fast food scene with top competitors Panda Express and PF Chang’s.

Asia has now also reformed the classic American burger into what the Japanese dub a MOS burger. Just replace the bun, patty and greens with a grilled rice bun, daikon, and ground chicken flavored with soy sauce, and you’ll have an original Tsukune rice burger. This fusion of East and West is a perfect embodiment of our global culture in the savory harmonies of a rice burger.

(Inspired by a Nibbledish.com recipe)

1 chicken breast

Corn flour

Olive oil

1 bowl of cooked rice

Sesame seeds

Lettuce leaves

Slice(s) of onion

Slice(s) of tomato

1 strip of nori

For the marinade:

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon Mirin (sweet rice wine)

1 tablespoon wine

2 tablespoon soy sauce

1. Mix the marinade and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to an hour.

2. Next, pat the chicken with corn flour and sauté in a lightly oiled pan until golden brown.

3. Get rid of the excess oil and pour the marinade into the pan; cook until thickens.

4. Meanwhile prepare the cooked rice into two patties. Use your hands to compound two rice balls then flatten into patties so that the rice sticks together.

5. On another lightly oiled pan, grill the two rice patties and season with a tiny bit of soy sauce and sesame.

6. After the chicken and patties are done, the onions can also be lightly sautéed in the marinade before the burger is put together.

7. Compile the lettuce, onions, tomatoes and chicken with the rice patties, and wrap one strip of nori around the burger and voilà!

This article was created by an affiliate of The Daily Northwestern. The Daily is not responsible for the article’s content. For more information, please contact The Daily’s editor in chief at [email protected].