Suckstorff: Interfaith-and what we’re doing about it

I have long felt that promoting interfaith collaboration comprises an integral part of my Christian faith. If I am to love my neighbor, as I believe I am called to do, I need to understand his perspectives even if I don’t share them, and that requires engaging him in constructive action and dialogue. While my convictions are rooted in my particular faith identity, these principles speak to anyone of any religious persuasion who wants to build respectful, cohesive community.

Kelsey Sheridan (full disclosure: a friend of mine) made a similar point in her guest column in response to last week’s forum on hate crimes following the defacement of the Chabad House menorah. While the vandalism at Chabad was likely drunken tomfoolery and not a targeted hate crime, the incident still raises questions about interfaith relations which are particularly pertinent in light of a nationally fractious religious scene. As Kelsey writes in her column, we can avoid antagonizing different components of NU`’s religious communities by knowing exactly what behaviors will offend others’ religious identities, and why.

Not only do I firmly believe we should develop awareness of those identities, we should also alter our conduct to respect them as much as possible. I suspect some of you object vehemently to this suggestion and regard it as little more than veiled political correctness. Why should anyone change his or her behavior simply to accommodate another person’s subjective religious sensibilities? This consideration recalls SHIFT’s chalking of the Prophet Muhammad last spring, which some have compared to the menorah vandalism (side note: while I find both incidents offensive, SHIFT’s actions were in no way criminal, unlike the menorah defacing).

To me it’s a simple matter of empathy. If I can do something to make my brothers and sisters on this campus more comfortable without compromising my own identity, I’ll gladly do it. I’ll still talk about Jesus around my non-Christian friends, but I’ll try to do so in a non-confrontational manner. If I’m sharing pizza with Muslim acquaintances, we’ll be sure to order some without pepperoni in much the same fashion that you’d accommodate a vegetarian’s dietary restrictions.

While the forum was a great opportunity to initiate interfaith discussion of this nature, I think it failed to raise one key point: Northwestern already has a vibrant interfaith community that is looking to expand. According to the Nov. 3 article on the forum (which I was unfortunately unable to attend due to class), participants recommended “building coalitions between religious groups” to prevent similarly offensive incidents. As a matter of fact, we’re already creating those connections. Kelsey’s column mentioned the Nov. 15 interfaith potluck, which is entering its fourth year. Later in winter, Northwestern Interfaith Initiative will hold its fifth annual retreat, and Interfaith Hall in Plex hosts firesides which are open to non-residents throughout the year. The campus ministry with which I am involved, University Christian Ministry, recently held a discussion on the theme of hospitality with students from Hillel, we’ll be sharing an interfaith Thanksgiving meal with students from NUii soon.

Cooperative, collaborative interfaith engagement is imperative for building a cohesive NU community which seeks to understand and respect the diverse religious identities (including atheist or secular humanist ones) that make it so vibrant. Interfaith is already happening on this campus, and I invite you to join in with whatever religious perspective you bring to the table. In the words of the thirteenth-century Muslim mystic Rumi, “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Hana Suckstorff is a Weinberg senior. She can be reached at [email protected]