Live: Northwestern takes on Purdue under the lights at Ryan Field

EVANSTON — With a win in the Big Ten under their belts, Northwestern welcomes injury-ridden Purdue to Ryan Field.

The Wildcats (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) are looking for their first 6-0 start since 1962, the last time they were ranked No. 1 in the nation. The Boilermakers (2-2, 0-0), coming off of a bye week, lost their previous matchup to Toledo 31-20 on Sept. 25 in West Lafayette, Ind.

Read up on Purdue’s struggles to keep their top talent on the field (including quarterback Robert Marve), and stay tuned for coverage from Ryan Field.

Third quarter update from Colin Becht:

With an impressive 12-play drive to open the second half, Northwestern has taken a 17-13 lead over Purdue into the fourth quarter.

Despite some uncharacteristic inaccuracies from junior quarterback Dan Persa, the Cats marched 58 yards down the field, capped off by a five-yard run from Persa.

The drive appeared over when Persa’s pass into the end zone was intercepted, but a defensive holding penalty kept the drive alive.

When the Cats failed to take advantage of a chance to take a two-score lead on their next drive, Purdue responded with a 40-yard field goal by kicker Carson Wiggs. Again Purdue cost itself points with a penalty as quarterback Rob Henry’s 13-yard touchdown scamper was wiped out by a holding call.

For the second time of the game, Purdue managed to successfully utilize its speed for a big gain as senior running back Keith Carlos took a pitch for a 51-yard gain.

Outside of that play, the NU defense has kept the Boilermakers in check, with 12 yards of offense the rest of the quarter.

Second quarter update:

Considering the sloppy play from NU’s special teams, they enter the half fortunate to be tied 10-10.

Thus far, the Cats have muffed a kickoff, shanked a punt for 15 yards and dropped a punt that free safety Albert Evans recovered to give Purdue the ball at the NU 24.

Purdue managed only three points in those miscues, coming on a 36-yard field goal from Wiggs. The Boilermakers outscored the Cats 10-3 in the quarter.

The 15-yard punt from redshirt freshman Brandon Williams gave Purdue the Ball at the NU 32. However, the Boilermakers’ drive lasted just one play as junior safety David Arnold intercepted quarterback Rob Henry’s pass in the end zone.

After Evans recovered sophomore Hunter Bates’ dropped punt, Purdue managed only four yards before Wiggs had to come on for the field goal.

The Boilermakers capitalized on their opening drive of the quarter, which began at the NU nine-yard line thanks to a 67-yard run by Henry. Henry finished off the drive with a one-yard touchdown run to the outside.

NU brought tied it up just before halftime at 10-10 with a 46-yard field goal from senior kicker Stefan Demos.

Persa has thrown for 156 yards on 13-of-21 passing, well below his Football Bowl Subdivision-leading 79.4 completion percentage.

The Purdue secondary has kept tight coverage on NU’s receivers, consistently forcing Persa to scramble. His 11 carries are the most of all rushers in the game.

First quarter update:

Behind a 38-yard completion from Persa to junior wide receiver Jeremy Ebert, Northwestern takes a 7-0 lead into the second quarter.

Set up by the big play to Ebert, the Wildcats converted in the red zone on a two-yard touchdown rush from junior running back Jacob Schmidt.

Persa continues to move the ball efficiently through the air, completing seven-of-eight passes for 75 yards.

Defensively, the Cats yielded little to the Boilermakers on their first two possessions, limiting them to 29 yards of offense.

Quarterback Rob Henry has completed one pass and Purdue has gained just three first downs. Purdue ended the quarter with the longest play of the game, a 67-yard scramble by Henry that moved the ball to the NU 9.

NU failed to score on its opening possession of the game for just the second time all season, thanks largely to a 13-yard sack by Purdue free safety Albert Evans.