Update: Father of former Northwestern quarterback accused of murder

A Cook County judge set a bail of $2 million Friday for accused murderer Allan Kustok, the father of a former Northwestern quarterback, a Cook County State Attorney’s Office spokesman said.

After Kustok’s bail hearing with Judge Joan O’Brien, police transported him to Cook County Jail. Officials at that jail transferred him to Jerome Combs Detention Center in Kankakee County on Saturday because of his familiarity with Cook County’s facilities and staff, said Steve Patterson, director of communications for the Cook County Sheriff’s Office. Kustok worked as a sanitarian at Cook County Jail between 2004 and 2007.

During Kustok’s initial interview with police, he told them his wife, Anita Kustok, 58, had shot herself Sept. 29 in their Orland Park home, according to documents Orland Park Police Cmdr. John Keating gave The Daily. Allan Kustok, 59, described being awakened by a loud noise early in the morning, finding his wife dead in bed, and pointing the gun at his own head before firing the remaining rounds into an armoire in the bedroom. An hour and a half after the gun was fired, Allan Kustok delivered his wife to the Palos Community Hospital emergency room wrapped in a green bathrobe.

Allan Kustok told police he had purchased the gun by which Anita died at her request in 2009, according to the documents from Keating.

But the Cook County medical examiner who conducted Anita Kustok’s autopsy concluded from the angle of the bullet holes in the victim’s face that someone else had shot her, according to the documents.

Police arrested Allan Kustok on Thursday, Keating said.

“Obviously it would be speculative for me to comment on motive,” Keating said.

When Allan Kustok arrived at Cook County Jail, staff members evaluated him mentally and physically and decided to hold him in Cermak Health Services, the jail’s medical facility, Patterson said in an e-mail.

Allan and Anita Kustok are the parents of Zak Kustok, who played football for NU as starting quarterback and led the team to win a share of the Big Ten title in 2000. Their daughter, Sarah Kustok, is a reporter for Comcast SportsNet Chicago. Their attorney has said they believe their father is innocent, according to a Friday article in the Chicago Tribune.

Allan Kustok’s next hearing will be Oct. 25, Cook County State Attorney spokesman Lisa Gordon said. A spokesman for the Cook County Clerk of Court who declined to give her name said it will be held in Bridgeview.